Nesso - St. Pietro & St. Paolo church

The church of St. Pietro & Paolo in Nesso

The church of Saints Peter and Paul stand in the town of Nesso, just a few meters from the waters of lake Como. Originally the church faced the lake. When it was rebuilt in 1600 - in a Baroque style - the façade was moved to face the town.

News about the church of Saints Peter and Paul date as far back as 1095 when, according to tradition, it was consecrated by Pope Urbano II in homage to Bishop Rainaldo whose remains are conserved inside the building. Bishop Rainaldo would often stay in Nesso for long periods of time, so much so that the church was elevated to the rank of Duomo (Cathedral).

Remains of a fresco in the utility room adjacent to the bell tower are what can still be seen of the ancient church; it is not certain if another church existed in the Nesso territory prior to this one.

Inside, together with the high altar, the church hosts four side chapels dedicated to: the Holy Mother of the Rosary, the Crucifixion, Saint Joseph and Saint Francis Xavier. 18th century stuccoes and paintings by Francesco Maria Bianchi can be seen in the chapel of the Crucifixion; Giovan Battista Caprani, a local painter, realized the paintings in the cappella del Rosario.

Of great value are the frescoes Carlo Innocenzo Carloni, inside the chapel of Saint Joseph, and the baptistery with frescoes by Luigi Tagliaferri. The furniture is even of high artistic value; the confessionals with splendid engravings, the tabernacle, the marble altar, and copper lamps and candelabras.

Lezzeno

Lezzeno

Lezzeno stands on the western shore of Lake Como, is also famous for a gastronomic specialty: Missoltini, fresh water fish (shad) - sun dried and grilled. There are many artisan businesses, from the ship yards to car mechanics.

Lezzeno

Navigation Lake Como

Navigation Lake Como

Various theme cruises are organized by the Lake Navigation Management, besides the normal lake navigation service, in July and August, it is possible to take a cruise on the Concordia with restaurant service.

Navigation

Pognana Lario

Pognana Lario

Pognana Lario was once famous for its Moltrasio stone mines, this building stone, used by the Masters of Comacini, is characterized by gray-blue streaks. It’s a must to visit the church of San Miro, situated in the hamlet of Rovasco.

Pognana Lario