The church of Saint John is in San Giovanni, next to the villa of Marquess Trotti. In 1785 it was expanded and restored, taking on the form which it holds yet today. Little is known about the history of this church, which was the first to built on Bellagio soil. It is certain that it already existed in the 10th century, from the moment in which a few documents speak of a certain Adamo, Presbytery of Saint John in 995 and of Arioaldo in 1009.
No traces of this church remain, but it is presumed that the present day oratory was constructed upon its ruins. The new Arcipretale church of Saint John the Baptist was built partly in 1584 and partly in 1685. Its current aspect is due to the modifications carried out during the second half of the 1700s. A magnificent, Baroque-style facade was built, with a bell-tower with 5 bells at its side.
The interior, already built in a 3 nave layout, was enriched with paintings, stuccos, and gold plating; a new main alter built of engraved wood was placed, and is surrounded by wooden statues by Valtellinesi artists of the 1700s. The most interesting work, still able to be admired today, was donated a few years later by the Frizzoni family and placed in the right nave; it is an altar piece portraying the Risen Christ among the saints and donors, and an oil painting by Gaudenzio Ferrari from the 15 th -16 th century.
Sagra di Bellagio - Feast of San Giovanni, June 24 - 25 and July 1, 2017
Each year, at the end of June, the traditional Bellagio sagra (festival) is held in the square in front of the church of San Giovanni. Drawing in large numbers of visitors to the town, the sagra promises three days of fun, good food and music.
Menaggio’s particularly mild climate, ventilated by two local winds known as Breva and Tivano, and its optimal sunny position allows for a surprising and exotic flora along the lake shore. Its supply of receptive and sporting facilities is excellent.Menaggio
Various theme cruises are organized by the Lake Navigation Management, besides the normal lake navigation service, in July and August, it is possible to take a cruise on the Concordia with restaurant service.Navigation
The most famous of Tremezzo’s villas is Villa Carlotta, open to the public, surrounded by a wonderful Italian garden with a graceful fountain in front of the villa’s entrance, box tree hedges, exotic and rare plants.Tremezzo