Como, the Duomo (Cathedral) seen from the eastern side of the piazza, where in only a single block, the Duomo, the Broletto and the city tower are located.
Como's Duomo is the last of the Gothic cathedrals built in Lombardy: it was begun in 1396, ten years after the foundation of Milan 's Duomo.
In the three and a half centuries required for its definitive completion, various styles became popular, although the original one remains dominant, that is, the late-Gothic Renaissance.
The initial design (1396) is due to Lorenzo degli Spazzi of Laini d'Intelvi, but this was then partially modified by Pietro di Breggio (Como) and by other successive artists.
Its interior is divided into three naves by ten cruciform pillars with pointed arches of various amplitude and cross vaults.
The two statues, Plinio il Vecchio and Plinio il Giovane located at the sides of the portal, are the work of sculptor Tommaso Rodari of Moriggia. An altar and a fresco by A. De Passeris come from the destroyed S.Maria Maggiore basilica.
Among the many works of art which adorn the interior, we point out the 16 th century tapestries, the distinguished paintings of Gauedenzio Ferrari, of Bernardino Luini, and Morazzone (16 th -17 th centuries), the frescoes of the sacristy (first half of the 17 th century). Como's Duomo is 87 metres long, the naves, including the major chapels are 36 and 58 metres wide, the dome is 75 metres high and the façade's steeple rises 45 metres above the piazza's floor.
The dome was designed by Filippo Juvara (1687-1736) , architect to the King of Sardinia.
The 19 th century stained-glass windows were designed by Giuseppe and Pompeo Bertini.
Colico is a very important tourist center, and proven by the optimal accommodation resources presented throughout its territory. The winds that characterize this area render the waters of Colico an excellent regatta site - both.
Colico Weather - Map