Lenno stands on the western shore on lake Como, here begins the coastal area called the Costa della Tremezzina. Lenno's origins date back to the first Roman Empire; the territory was colonized by Greek colonies, sent here by Julius Caesar at the time of the founding of Nuova Como, colonies which introduced the cultivation of vineyards and olive groves - there is a centuries-old mill, which can still be seen today, which was used for the production of a high-quality olive oil. It is believed that Plinio the Younger had his villa named Comedia, from where he could fish comfortably from his window.
Lenno enjoys a mild, dry climate, which facilitates the growth of Mediterranean vegetation. It's located in a gulf lovely enough to merit the name Golfo di Venere. Lenno has many splendid villas, and we suggest Villa Cassinella di Mantegazza and the incomparable Villa del Balbianello, built in 1787 by Cardinal Durini. The villa then went on to become the property of the Arconati-Visconti family. After numerous property transfers, it was purchased by Guido Monzino who, upon his death, willed it to the F.A.I. (Fondo per l'Ambiente Italiano - Italian Environment Fund).
Among the historical buildings in Lenno's territory, we recommend the Acquafredda Abbey, reachable by a path surrounded by olive trees. It was called this because of a water source that flows nearby, and was built in the 12th century. The current building - of a single nave layout with two side chapels - is decorated with stuccos and paintings, some by Fiamminghino (1621). The church of Saint Stephen holds frescoes from the 14th century, some to be attributed to the school of Luini. We come upon the church of Saint Vincent which dates back to the 11th century in the village of Portezza. Not far from Lenno is Giulino di Mezzegra - where Benito Mussolini and Claretta Petacci were shot on the morning of April 28, 1945.
The most famous of Tremezzo's villas is Villa Carlotta, open to the public, surrounded by a wonderful Italian garden with a graceful fountain in front of the villa's entrance, box tree hedges, exotic and rare plants.Tremezzo
Various theme cruises are organized by the Lake Navigation Management, besides the normal lake navigation service, in July and August, it is possible to take a cruise on the Concordia with restaurant service.Navigation
We recommend a visit to the Island on the day of the Sagra dei Lumaghitt, which celebrates St.Giovanni on June 24th with grand illuminations on Lake Como and the mass celebrated on the ruins of the St.Eufemia basilica.Comacina Island