Acquafredda (Coldwater) Abbey stands in a stupendous panoramic location at the foot of Mount Ossino, about 300 meters above sea level, in Lenno territory. The name is derived from a nearby source of particularly cool water which still flows today. Acquafredda Abbey was built by the Cistercian monks of Morimondo, in the 12th century. The apse, the tomb of Saint Agrippino and probably the base of the bell tower are the only original construction still visible.
In 1527 Count Ascanio Bergamino attacked and burned down the monastery - it became a refuge of bandits and outlaws. The church and the monastery were rebuilt during the 17th and 18th century. In 1904, Acquafredda Abbey was once again inhabited by the monks; later it became a summer seminary of the Crema diocese; in 1934 it was purchased by the minor Capuchin monks and in 1966 was entrusted to the Franciscan Third Order as a house of prayer and spiritual retreat.
The church has a single nave with two side altars; the frescoes are the work of Giovanni Mauro della Rovere knows as Fiammenghino, who worked here in 1621, painting also a Visitation oil painting, visible in the choir loft, though formerly it constituted the altar piece of the altar of the Holy Mother. In 1714, Don Giusto Rossi had the abbey's marble high altar made, while the vault and the stuccoes date back to 1680. It is possible to see the inside of the church during the summer, the Capuchin monks - in addition to guaranteeing a presence and spiritual assistance to the nuns, maidservants of the Lord, and to groups coming to the abbey - carry out the pastoral service at the Sacro Monte di Ossuccio.
For more information: Acquafredda Abbey 22016 Lenno Tel.(+39) 0344 55208.
The most famous of Tremezzo's villas is Villa Carlotta, open to the public, surrounded by a wonderful Italian garden with a graceful fountain in front of the villa's entrance, box tree hedges, exotic and rare plants.Tremezzo
Various theme cruises are organized by the Lake Navigation Management, besides the normal lake navigation service, in July and August, it is possible to take a cruise on the Concordia with restaurant service.Navigation
We recommend a visit to the Island on the day of the Sagra dei Lumaghitt, which celebrates St.Giovanni on June 24th with grand illuminations on Lake Como and the mass celebrated on the ruins of the St.Eufemia basilica.Comacina Island