The Our Lady of Help Sanctuary stands in Ossuccio in the Municipality of Tremezzina on Lake Como's eastern shore. It is situated on the mountain slope at 400 m. above sea level above Lenno, facing Comacina Island. Popular tradition ties the beginning of the devotion to the Madonna Lady to an ancient statue of Mary and to an ancient painting.
The statue, in white marble, probably hidden on the scene during times of conflict and invasions, was discovered here by a young deaf-mute girl who had the gift of healing. The painting, which portrays the Virgin with Baby Jesus is and Saint Eufemia, is very old (1501). The Sanctuary is from various epochs: the central body was completed in 1537.
The way of the chapels begins nearly a kilometre away from the Sanctuary, along which are lined up 14 small Baroque temples, which contain the scenes portraying the facts of the life of Jesus and the Madonna, remembered in the mysteries of the rosary (the 15 th mystery is portrayed in the Sanctuary ). The facts are portrayed with life-sized statues in stucco and terracotta and with frescoes.
The chapels, realized between 1635 and 1710, are true masterpieces of stucco decorators from the Val d'Intelvi school, and portray a singular ethnographic and folkloristic documentation of those centuries, with the main author being stucco decorator Agostino Silva, of Morbio (1620-1706).
The natural beauty and the silence surrounding it, notably help to make the Sanctuary a privileged place of meeting with God. Helping mankind to encounter God, by means of His Son Jesus, is the mission that the Madonna carries out in her sanctuaries. For more information: Rectory 0344 55211. Restaurant 0344 56311.
The most famous of Tremezzo's villas is Villa Carlotta, open to the public, surrounded by a wonderful Italian garden with a graceful fountain in front of the villa's entrance, box tree hedges, exotic and rare plants.Tremezzo
Various theme cruises are organized by the Lake Navigation Management, besides the normal lake navigation service, in July and August, it is possible to take a cruise on the Concordia with restaurant service.Navigation
We recommend a visit to the Island on the day of the Sagra dei Lumaghitt, which celebrates St.Giovanni on June 24th with grand illuminations on Lake Como and the mass celebrated on the ruins of the St.Eufemia basilica.Comacina Island