The Santuario of Sant'Anna is just a few kilometers outside of Argegno, along the provincial road that leads to the town of Schignano. Originally the church was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin of Gelpio, as the painting over the main altar testifies. The statue of St. Anna is in a side altar. You can reach the sanctuary from Argegno by a path that crosses some of the Telo Valley, along which you can see some small votive shrines.
The church was built on the foundation of a chapel dedicated to Madonna, it was probably built as a vow taken by the community of Argegno during a plague. In the course of the 16th century, the sanctuary was expanded and remodeled. Frescoes done by Campionese painter Isidoro Bianchi (1602-1662) date back to the 17th century. The stuccoes, of the Inveltese school, are attributed to Giovanni Battista Barberini, the decorations, as well as the frescos, are examples of marvelous works of art.
The structure of the Santuario di Sant'Anna is a single nave with side chapels, a characteristic portico with granite columns precedes the facade. In 1969, parish priest Don Taiana entrusted the restoration of the stuccoes to sculptor Domenico Agostini from Milan, and that same year the renovation of the roof in Malenco stone. The people of Argegno have for centuries been committed to the worship of Sant'Anna, and it is tradition to spend July 26th, her feast day, at the sanctuary sharing the day together in prayer.
We recommend a visit to the Island on the day of the Sagra dei Lumaghitt, which celebrates St.Giovanni on June 24th with grand illuminations on Lake Como and the mass celebrated on the ruins of the St.Eufemia basilica.Comacina Island
Various theme cruises are organized by the Lake Navigation Management, besides the normal lake navigation service, in July and August, it is possible to take a cruise on the Concordia with restaurant service.Navigation
Brienno preserves its origins of a medieval village, the stone houses based in the water, the narrow streets barely separating the buildings; beautiful porticos, stairways and underpasses make this place a true gem.Brienno