The basilica dedicated to Saint Nicholas (San Nicolò) is located in the northern part of the old town of Lecco, its bell tower of 96 meters high is clearly visible from any point of the town. Ancient documents trace the founding of the church in the seventh century; it is assumed that the construction took place over the remains of an old Roman fort. In the twelfth century, the building was completely rebuilt in the Romanesque style, with three naves; in the late sixteenth century the building underwent some restoration works that affected the facade, the stairs and the bell tower.
In 1774 the architect Giovanni Maria Fontana designed the neoclassical facade, the restorations succeeded over the centuries did not alter the plan of the church. The current layout of the Basilica di Lecco is the work of architect Giuseppe Bovara, who expanded the church significantly between 1831 and 1862.
The Basilica's facade overlooks the waters of the lake; inside the basilica, on the walls and vaulted ceilings, we find frescoes of the nineteenth and twentieth century. The only portion of the original church is the Chapel of the Baptistery, dating back to the twelfth century. The baptismal font, kept on its inside, is of the sixteenth century. In 1955, during restoration work, under the plaster of the ceiling, were discovered very ruined fragments of paintings from the fourteenth century, frescoes depicting the life and work of Saint Anthony the Abbot.
On the left side of the church stands the bell tower, the initial design of the tower was by the architect Gattinoni, for lack of funds the work was interrupted in 1894, the project was modified by Cerutti and the bell tower was completed in 1904, 96 meters high, the tower is the symbol of the city and home to nine bells, works of the caster George Pruneri.
It has always been a town of fisherman and boatmen, already during the 18th century, Malgrate was a vacation town frequented by Milan’s upper class. The famous inventor, Pietro Vassena (1897 – 1967) a Malgrate nativeMalgrate
Various theme cruises are organized by the Lake Navigation Management, besides the normal lake navigation service, in July and August, it is possible to take a cruise on the Concordia with restaurant service.Navigation
In this area you can make many excursions and trips: in Linzanico starts the trail that in about three hours of walking gets to Resinelli Flatland, the Path of the Wanderer starts at Borbino and connected Abbadia to Colico.Abbadia Lariana