The church of San Martino, beautifully overlooking the waters of Lake Como is located in the hamlet of Calozzo in Pianello del Lario. The church has ancient origins, a document from 1153 refers to a chapel by the lake dedicated to San Martino with an adjoining small cemetery. In 1389 these territories passed under the control of the feudatories Malacrida of Musso and only in 1472 with the ecclesiastical separation from the Pieve di Dongo did the inhabitants of Pianello obtain the consent to erect the church of San Martino as the parish church of the town.
Over the centuries the building has undergone numerous changes starting with the expansion of the main portal in 1534 and the construction of the two side chapels between 1601 and 1620. In the eighteenth century the organ was added. The insertion involved the closure of the central rose window and the opening of new windows. In the nineteenth century the ceiling was completely redone and frescoed by the painter Giovan Maria Tagliaferri. The work that was carried out during the twentieth century mainly concerned the interiors, the floor and the furnishings. In 1970 the chapel on the right hand side was dedicated to St. Luigi Guanella, an unforgettable parish priest who, with his work, left tangible signs not only in these areas but all over the world.
The interior of the church of San Martino has a single nave with a vaulted ceiling, on the walls numerous frescoes and paintings, particularly those painted by Isidoro Bianchi on the apse basin are valuable and to be admired. Also the frescoes by Giovanni Battista Pozzo and Giovan Battista Bottiggio, a native painter of Pianello are of splendid craftmanship. The wooden wardrobe of the Baroque period in the sacristy and the processional cross made by Francesco Ser Gregori in 1489 are highly recommended. On the left side of the building stands the bell tower with a concert of five bells tuned in D3 made in 1903 by the Pruneri company, on the right side you’ll find the oratory built in the eighteenth century by the Brotherhood of the S.S. Sacramento.
Musso is a town rich with history: in the thirteenth century the area was the feud of Malacrida family, allies to the Duchy of Milan. In 1522, Gian Giacomo Medici, called the Medeghino, stormed the castle and enlarged the fortifications.Musso
Dried Shad (Agone), called Missoltini or Missultin, were at one time a precious food for inhabitants of Lake Como, the particular processing allowed them to be conserved for more than a year, excellent traditional Lake Como cuisine.Lario Cuisine
Menaggio's particularly mild climate, ventilated by two winds known as Breva and Tivano, and its optimal sunny position allows for a surprising flora along the lake shore. Its supply of receptive and sporting facilities is excellent.Menaggio