Villa Erba stands in the town of Cernobbio - the mouth of the Breggia Torrent marks the vast property’s southern border - and overlooks the waters of Lake Como. From the 12th to the 18th century, it was a monastery of Benedictine monks, which was abandoned during the Austrian occupation in 1785. The land and buildings were then sold privately, and in 1816, the Marchuise Calderara had a luxurious villa built on the foundations of the monastery, and transformed the monks’ vegetable gardens into a beautiful English garden.
In 1892, entrepreneur Luigi Erba purchased the property, had the previous building demolished, and a year later began construction work of a new residence. The project was entrusted to architects Savoldi and Borsani, and the work was finished in 1903. The ingenious designers realized one of Lake Como’s most sumptuous villas. The Renaissance-style building unwinds across two floors, with a panoramic tower that is more than 30 meters high. We can admire beautiful decorations by Angelo Lorenzoli and Ernesto Fontana outdoors, in the atrium, and throughout the halls. During the 20th century, director Luchino Visconti lived in the villa for long periods of time, today, some of the rooms host a museum dedicated to him, that may be visited only upon reservation.
In 1986 the public consortium Villa Erba Spa. purchased the property and charged architect Mario Bellini with designing the Multipurpose Exhibition Center. The modern, glass and steel construction gets its inspiration from Lake Como’s ancient greenhouses. The architectural work of art is made up of a large, central pavilion and three lateral wings, with a surface of more than 10,000 m² of exhibition and convention space. The gardens of Villa Erba uniquely enhance both the villa and the congress center, a lawn with 100,000 m² of hedges, azaleas, hydrangeas and centuries-old trees. Villa Erba, the Exposition center and the garden lend to the organization of any type of event.
For further information: +39 031 3491 Villa Erba Spa.
Moltrasio is situated on the western bank of Lake Como and extends from the waters of the lake to the slopes of Monte Bisbino, its sunny location and mild climate have made Moltrasio a popular holiday destination.Moltrasio
Dried Shad (Agone), called Missoltini or Missultin, were at one time a precious food for inhabitants of Lake Como, the particular processing allowed them to be conserved for more than a year, excellent traditional Lake Como cuisine.Lario Cuisine
Como is the city which gives the name to the entire lake, arriving by train to the Como Lago station, you can easily admire all of the marvels of the city going by foot. We recommend a visit to Brunate and Volta Temple.Como