Villa Pizzo stands on the promontory of the same name, between the towns of Cernobbio and Moltrasio, a stone’s throw from the waters of Lake Como. Villa Pizzo has a very ancient history, in the 15th century, Giovanni Muggiasca, a merchant from Como, purchased the land and the farmhouse from the Raimondi family. The property extended from the lake to the top of the hills behind it. In the 16th century, with the war between Como and Milan ended, Giovanni Battista Speciano, Lieutenant of the Sforza, became the owner of the property. Count Speciano had an elegant villa constructed on the farmhouse foundation, and began the deforestation of the land.
At the beginning of the 17th century, the Muggiasca family had possession of the property once more, and in 1630, during an epidemic of the plague, transferred there with family and friends. During that time, they realized the terracing of the gardens, planted vineyards and olive groves and created a small Italian garden. In 1830, Bishop Giovanni Battista Muggiasca, having no heirs, donated the property to Como’s Sant’Anna Hospital. The villa and land were placed on auction, and Duke Ranieri d’Asburgo-Lorena, an Austrian nobleman and expert botanist, purchased it and occupied himself mainly with the gardens. He replaced the olive groves and vineyards with a large Italian garden and a picturesque English garden.
In 1865, French noblewoman Elise Musard purchased Villa Pizzo and continued improving the property, until 1895, when she sold it to Fortunato Volpi. The heirs of the Volpi-Bassani family are the current owners. Today the Villa Pizzo complex is comprised of the manor house, a few complementary buildings and magnificent gardens with tree-lined roads, exotic plants, bridges and water features. Guided tours of the gardens - for groups of minimum 10 people - may be organized upon request, from May to September.
For further information: Tel. 031 511262 Giardini di Villa Pizzo.
Moltrasio is situated on the western bank of Lake Como and extends from the waters of the lake to the slopes of Monte Bisbino, its sunny location and mild climate have made Moltrasio a popular holiday destination.Moltrasio
Dried Shad (Agone), called Missoltini or Missultin, were at one time a precious food for inhabitants of Lake Como, the particular processing allowed them to be conserved for more than a year, excellent traditional Lake Como cuisine.Lario Cuisine
Como is the city which gives the name to the entire lake, arriving by train to the Como Lago station, you can easily admire all of the marvels of the city going by foot. We recommend a visit to Brunate and Volta Temple.Como